Why the Miami Dolphins Won't Draft Tavon Austin

I get it. Tavon Austin is electric. He's a playmaker. The Miami Dolphins wide receiving corps would be top-notch if we drafted Austin to go with Mike Wallace and our other receivers. I understand all that.

Austin is an amazing talent that can do well regardless of the situation he is in. I think any team would be a fool not to consider him. With that being said, I don't expect the Miami Dolphins to draft him, and here are a few reasons why:

Size
Austin is small, and while I hate judging a player based on size it is impossible to ignore in this case. Austin is 5'8". Being that short limits what routes he can run in the NFL, and that's just the truth. It's unfair, but that's how it is.

I think he size can be an advantage. It will make him a smaller target for defenders. But it still hurts him more than it helps in my eyes.

More Pressing Needs
Miami would be better off spending an early pick on an offensive lineman or a cornerback.

Is helping the offensive line a sexy pick? No, but it is very important. Drafting a cornerback might be a little "cooler", but it still isn't a flashy receiver like everyone wants and I get that. But, the fact of the matter is Miami has actual holes that need to be filled. They don't need to be drafting at a position that is now a strength with their 12th overall pick.

Wide Receiver Depth
This draft class is loaded with very talented wide receivers. The depth of the draft as a whole is excellent, and that especially applies to the receivers. It is possible that the Dolphins could get Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, and a load of other guys in the second round or later. No, they aren't Tavon Austin, but they can still help make our receiving corps even greater.

I have heard this draft referred to as a "meat and potatoes" draft because of all of the talented players available in the mid to late rounds, and I feel like that is an accurate assessment.


I think that Austin will be a top-level slot receiver, but I'm just not comfortable with Miami drafting him when they have other needs to fill and there are plenty of receivers available in this draft class.

Don't get me wrong. I like Austin a lot. He's my second ranked receiver behind Cordarrelle Patterson, and I actually think he would fit what the Dolphins are trying to do more than Patterson would. I just don't think Miami will get him.

It just doesn't make sense to draft a slot receiver who runs a limited route tree with the 12th pick in the draft. I won't be mad if they do it, but I highly doubt they will. He's a really fun receiver to watch so I'll actually be pretty happy if we get him, but it just doesn't make sense.

What do you think? Thanks for stopping by. Email me at paul@dolphinshout.com.