Ranking The Other Quarterback Prospects Not Named Andrew Luck

Now that the Miami Dolphins are not likely to be lucky enough to draft Andrew Luck after yesterday's dominating win, it is time to focus our attention on the other quarterback prospects that the Dolphins will have to choose from.

Now, of course, the Dolphins are only one game "behind" the Colts so they aren't out of luck yet, but I would be very surprised if the Colts won more than one game this year. They are bad, and I only see a few games ahead for them that are even remotely possible for them to win.

1. Matt Barkley - USC
I will start off with my number one non-Luck prospect, and that is Matt Barkley. Barkley can make a lot of really good throws, he has really nice touch on his throws, and he places the ball very, very well. He doesn't make many jaw-dropping deep throws, but he doesn't really need to.

One thing that I really like about Barkley is his composure. He is very patient and waits for the play to develop instead of just taking off. He is good at shaking off tacklers with his shoulders, but he needs to learn to move up in the pocket under pressure to avoid the tackler instead of relying on his shoulder move.

Barkley is a junior, so there is a chance that he stays for another year, but I doubt that he will because USC won't be eligible for a Bowl game next year.

2. Robert Griffin III - Baylor
My second non-Luck passer is Robert Griffin III. Griffin is a really fast quarterback. Think Michael Vick speed, but even faster. He isn't as elusive as Vick, but he has faster top-end speed than Vick. He has a strong arm and can make a lot of throws. His touch isn't amazing, but he puts the ball where it needs to be.

Griffin is a really bright kid, which might sound like a good thing, but his intelligence might actually hurt the Dolphins. Griffin is a junior, so he will likely stay another year to get his degree, which means he won't even be available to be taken.

3. Landry Jones - Oklahoma
That leads me to my third non-Luck quarterback prospect: Landry Jones. I want to reiterate that I do not think that Landry Jones will be a good quarterback in the NFL. He makes no throws that impress me. All he does is throw short little passes that his receivers and backs turn into big gains.

Still, though, I have to put him here at three because of his production. I can talk all day about how he doesn't make any big throws, but the fact of the matter is that he produces. I have to recognize that. He is the quarterback making the throws that he needs to for a great college team.


That's all I really have on quarterbacks for now. One of those three is probably who we will be seeing in a Miami Dolphins jersey next season. I also considered Kellen Moore just because he puts up great numbers and wins a lot, but I don't know too much about him so I won't pretend to.

Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to like Dolphin Shout on Facebook and follow me on twitter @PaulDSmythe.

Follow DolphinShout on Twitter