Is Tony Sparano Too Soft on the Miami Dolphins Players?

I have heard some of you guys briefly mention that you think that Miami Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano is too soft on his players.

While I don't think that a coach should be excessively tough, I also don't think that he should be too soft, and I have to say that I think Sparano seems to be too soft at times. Take this quote by Sparano earlier this afternoon for example. When talking about Brandon Marshall's three "supposed" dropped passes in the end zone this season Tony said this (per Omar Kelly of the Sun Sentinel):
"You can call some of them drops. I call some of them hard catches"
I understand that Sparano is trying to defend his player, but come on. This is a little ridiculous. Receivers are taught that if the ball hits their hands that they are supposed to catch it. Last I checked, you either caught the ball or you dropped it, nothing in between.

Is this quote a big deal? No, not really, but my fear is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. It is very possible that other Dolphins hear something similar to this when they mess up too. I have no proof of this because I don't hear Coach Sparano talking to his players, so I am speculating here, but I don't think that I am very far off from the truth.

Do you guys remember when Ricky Williams criticized Sparano's coaching style, saying that he paid too much attention to making sure players avoided mistakes at all costs? Well maybe Sparano tried to change his coaching style to be more relaxed and ended up being way too relaxed.

I don't know. This is just me trying to figure out what is going wrong with this team, because I thought that they were WAY better than what they have shown.

Thanks for reading, and let me hear your thoughts in the comments below.

Be sure to like Dolphin Shout on Facebook, follow me on twitter @PaulDSmythe, and share this post with your friends!

Follow DolphinShout on Twitter