Miami Dolphins Release Chad Johnson

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Chad Johnson has officially been released by the team, according to Jay Glazer.

This comes less than 24 hours after Johnson was arrested for a domestic violence charge. Johnson was released from jail this afternoon after posting bail.

This puts an end to our discussions earlier. I have no problem at all with the releasing. The Dolphins obviously did their due diligence on the situation and felt it was the best move to remove Johnson.

As a kind of funny side note, during the first episode of HBO's Hard Knocks Chad Johnson said this as he was leaving the practice facility:
"I promise I'm getting arrested while we're off."
While he didn't technically get arrested during the day off like he said that he would it is still kind of funny that that was the last thing he said on Hard Knocks before he was actually arrested.

Now it is going to be interesting to see who replaces Johnson in Miami. If I had to bet on it I would say Roberto Wallace, but we'll just have to see. Miami has a good stable of wide receivers who could potentially replace Johnson.

This move is a statement by Miami Dolphins new Head Coach Joe Philbin. He wanted high-character players on his team, and Johnson obviously didn't live up to that requirement.

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think.

Email me at paul@dolphinshout.com. I'm on twitter @PaulDSmythe.