Are The Miami Dolphins Placing Too Much Faith in The FS Position?

Please check out my Dolphins blog here: Miami Dolphins Blog

So, there hasn't been much to talk about the FS position since the NFL draft, so I thought I would start some again.

This is mainly because I feel like the Dolphins are placing too much faith in the current players on the roster at free safety. After last years passing defense performed poorly you would think that Miami would try and fix the FS position, which is probably the weakest point of the entire defense.

Yes, they did go out and draft FS Reshad Jones in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft, but I'm not sure if that is enough. Jones seems to have a lot of potential, but I don't think he will be able to make a huge impact during his rookie year.

The Dolphins inactivity when it comes to taking a better free safety surprises me. I thought they would go out and get someone earlier in the draft or sign a free agent, but they didn't and that is surprising.

It seems like they are placing too much faith in who they have, and I just can't see why. I would have liked them to go out and pick up Darren Sharper, who is a really talented FS that would step in and give them immediate help. Sharper would have also been able to show Miami's young free safeties the ropes and help them develop enough to take his spot when he would have retired. But, the Dolphins didn't make him an offer and he signed back with the Saints.

Also, during the draft the Dolphins went out and picked Jared Odrick. Yes, Odrick is a really great player who will help a lot, but I thought that they could have signed a safety like Earl Thomas who was available in the first round to the Dolphins before they traded their pick.

I am hoping that they are seeing something that I'm not, which is very possible. Maybe Reshad Jones is exactly what the Dolphins were looking for, but I don't think so because if he was that good he wouldn't have fallen late into the fifth round.

With an offseason spent beefing up the Dolphins lineup, you'd think that they would have addressed one of their most glaring weaknesses last year, but they didn't.

Only time will tell if things work out in our passing defense, but until then I am worried that we don't currently have enough talent at FS position.

I know that it sounds like I am saying that next year will be horrible without a FS, and I know it won't. But, I think it would be a lot better with more talent at FS.

Don't forget to check out my blog here: Dolphin Shout



2 comments:

  1. Paul I think we "the fans" are to worried about one position in the 11 on the defense. I'll admit that the FS spot was a weakness in the passing game. But you have to get pressure on the QB and the front 7 didn't do that at all. Despite the fact we were 2nd in sacks. Most of the time QBs had all day to find guys open. If that happens even the best dbs will have problems.

    Our linebackers stunk last year, none of them deserve to be back from last years group. The problem with the dbs was the lack of pressure combined with the safeties making most of the tackles in the run game. So not only did the safeties get beat over top but they were covering for the worst lb core in the NFL last year.

    Our 2 safeties had more tackles then all 4 starting LBs combined from what I remember with out checking. Paul that is awful play from the linebackers. We need to look no further then the play of the LBs for what happened on last years defense. The best thing about the trifecta is they do their best to correct a problem.

    Fans don't like to see a favorate like JT and JP get the axe. But there is no room for old men playing a young mans game either. They needed to go and we are better team with out them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point that I didn't think about.

    So, do you think that Miami won't change around any more at the FS?

    ReplyDelete