Are The Miami Dolphins One Or Two Players Away From Being A Top-Tier Team?

First, I want to take a moment to thank all of our veterans who are currently serving or have ever served in any branch of the military. Thank you for all you have sacrificed for this country.

I also want to take a moment to remember all of our fallen veterans who bravely gave their lives in service of the United States. You will never be forgotten for what you did.


As you all know, the Miami Dolphins have a great defense and a good number of playmakers on offense. They are a very talented team, and I believe that the overall talent of all of the Dolphins players is much greater than that of a 7-9 team, which is why it is so frustrating to see them losing.

The above statement brings me to my question. Are the Miami Dolphins just a player or two away from being a top team in the NFL?

I do believe they are. Miami's defense is obviously one of the best in the league, so I won't even bother spending time discussing that group. The problem is on offense.

Now that the Dolphins added a great interior offensive lineman in Mike Pouncey and a potentially great running back in Daniel Thomas, they don't have too many holes to fill. I can really only think of three positions that I would like Miami to add a capable player to. Those three positions are quarterback, running back, and offensive guard.

I don't believe that any of those three positions are a huge concern, but it would still be a good idea to address them.

I don't see running back being a big concern because if Daniel Thomas was worth trading up to draft like the Dolphins did, then why not let him be the starter and the other more than capable backs on Miami's roster compete behind him. Kory Sheets and Lex Hilliard are very underestimated running backs, and I am excited at the thought of those two competing for a spot as a contributing running back.

Guard also isn't a big concern because Miami drafted C/G Pouncey with the 15th overall pick. I would still like to see another guard added to the roster to create some more competition, which is why I am including this position here.

The last is quarterback, and I am not going to describe that any more because I feel like Chad Henne and the QB dilemma has been 90% of the discussion this season. I will just say that I don't think that Henne will ever be able to carry the team, but I do think he has the potential to at least be a game manager. I would rather Miami not take the risk of relying on him, which is why I would like them to get a good free agent to compete for the job.

I want to know what you guys think. Do the Dolphins need one, two, three, or more players before they are a top team? Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for not posting yesterday. I had my third migraine in as many weeks and couldn't do anything yet again.

Follow DolphinShout on Twitter