How The Lockout Has Helped The Miami Dolphins And Chad Henne's Leadership

First, I want to say that I absolutely want the Miami Dolphins to add another quarterback by either free agency or trading. Chad Henne and Tyler Thigpen are not enough, and the Dolphins should add a player with some previous experience to compete for the job.

Now that I have said that, I now want to say that I have been very impressed with Chad Henne this offseason. He has been charged with showing the rest of the Miami Dolphins offense to the players, and from what I can tell he has been doing well at it.

Henne's ability to hold these player workouts has been a reflection of leadership qualities that I never knew he had, and frankly I wouldn't mind him starting next season simply because of how much he has been able to work with his players this offseason.

As much as you would expect the lockout to really hurt a team putting in a new system, I honestly think it has helped the Dolphins offense. I know it must sound crazy for me to suggest that a team would be able to implement a brand new offense using one player's knowledge of the offense without any coaches around better than if they did have coaches around teaching the offense themselves, but hear me out on this.

The players have had an extended amount of time to put the offense together. Instead of lessening the amount of time that the players have to work together, the lockout has increased their time together working on the offense.

The players have also been able to learn the way that they want to learn and focus on what they want to focus on with the offense and haven't had to worry about their coaches getting in the way. I love the idea of the players having the chance to do what they want to do with the offense. If they see something that needs fixing they can make that change and then tell OC Brian Daboll once the lockout is lifted. I'm not saying that coaches are bad because they aren't, but I do think that it is good to let just the players work together by themselves and see what works best, and this lockout is allowing them a lot of time to do just that.

I know I seem like I am doing a complete 180 with Chad Henne, but I thought a lot about it yesterday and I feel like Henne makes much more sense as a starter than Tyler Thigpen and a lot of the potential QBs that Miami could add. Henne knows the offense the best and has had a lot of time to learn and work on it.

There are only two players that I would want the Dolphins to start over Henne and a third that I think would have about a 50% chance of starting. The two starters are Kyle Orton and Carson Palmer, and the 50/50 guy is Vince Young. Orton is my hands-down favorite option and Palmer is another option that I would trust to lead the team. Young is a wild card who could either be great or awful. I tend to lean towards him being great if he came to Miami, but he could just as easily be awful.

I want to know what you guys think. I hope you liked and were able to follow what I was trying to say on today's post. Please let me hear your reactions with a comment (or two) below.

Thanks for reading.

Follow DolphinShout on Twitter