Miami Dolphins Trade Up And Select RB Daniel Thomas In 2nd Round

Just when I finally thought the Miami Dolphins would pick Ryan Mallett after trading up they go and select RB Daniel Thomas from Kansas State.

The Dolphins traded their third round pick, a fifth round pick, and a seventh round pick to the Washington Redskins for their 62nd overall pick.

My question is: why would Miami trade up and get rid of three draft picks so they can get Thomas?

My impression of Thomas is that he is just a solid running back. I haven't done much research on him, but that is what I have heard about him. He doesn't have breakaway speed. He has been clocked at a 4.58 40-yard dash. He is a pretty big back as well. I believe that he will be good in the NFL, but I don't think he was as good of a pick as Mallett would have been.

Last night I could kind of understand the Dolphins passing up Mallett because it was early in the draft, but tonight I don't understand why they would pass up on Mallett after giving away three draft picks.

Thanks for reading and let me know what you guys think.